September 8, 2022 Update
SB 1479 is awaiting action by the Governor. Please take action today to contact Governor Newsom and ask him to VETO this bill.
Please call Governor Newsom and ask him to VETO SB 1479.
Governor Newsom at 1 916 445 2841
Sample script: "I am calling to ask the Governor to VETO SB 1479 because it is unnecessary, is not in alignment with current CDC COVID guidelines, and creates more work and expenses for schools."
Email Governor Newsom and ask him to VETO SB 1479
Email at https://govapps.gov.ca.gov/gov40mail/
Ask the Governor to VETO SB 1479 because it is unnecessary, is not in alignment with current CDC COVID guidelines, and creates more work and expenses for schools.
Talking Points for SB 1479
Specific Ask: Oppose SB 1479 or abstain from voting on the bill.
Main Talking Points
- COVID-19 testing plans should be the responsibility of the public health department, not schools.
- COVID-19 transmission rates in schools are very low.
- Children are highly unlikely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 and very few pediatric deaths associated with COVID-19 have occurred in California during the pandemic.
- Testing of asymptomatic students would lead to lost learning time and increased emotional stress for those subjected to implementation of such a plan.
- Asymptomatic testing of students can lead to unnecessary and harmful quarantines of healthy children due to false positive results.